There was more freedom to create a choice board for course participants to pick and choose their lessons since lessons weren’t housed in a Bingo Board. I found another treasure map of sorts and added small pictures representing the lesson topics.
I used Thinglink to make the board interactive. Before you work with Thinglink, it’s a good idea to have each hyperlink ready to cut-and-paste for each lesson topic. This would be the direct link to the first page in each Adventure.
Linking Your Choice Board in Thinglink:
1. Create a Thinglink account and then click Create>Upload Image.
2. Name your image and then click on an icon to add a “Tag.”
3. Choose an icon image and position it where you like. If you upgrade your Thinglink subscription, you can hid the icon image. This way, the image isn’t obstructed by the hotspot/icon.
4. If you don’t already have your links in an easy-to-copy format, then open a new tab and go to the course page where you want the image linked. Copy the URL and paste it in the “Link or image address” box in Thinglink. Then, customize how you want your pop-up to look.
5. Click to save your tag settings.
6. When you have all of your lesson images tagged, click Save Image. Then, click the “Share” icon and get the embed code. Copy the embed code and insert in your course or website.
To embed the Thinglink code in Canvas:
1. Open a content page and click “Edit.”
2. On the top-right of the page, click HTML Editor.
3. Paste the code and click “Save” or “Save & Publish.”
Create a Homepage
After creating your Main Menu (Choice Board), you will need a place for your participants to “land” when they open your course. On this homepage will be two options:
- Go through the Introduction or
- Go directly to the lessons.
Since an Introductory Module will be required, new participants will not be able to go directly to the Choice Board. So, on the homepage, put another Choice Board, so to speak. Use Thinglink to put tags to each link again.
Be sure to choose this page as the Front Page if you are using Canvas and make sure it is assigned as the Home Page.
For this course, there was also a Final Adventure to be completed if a participant earned all of the pieces of the treasure map. How I wrote that and what I included in it is in the next post.